My other find on that crazy Tuesday was New Avengers. I’ve heard some whispers (i.e. I was browsing around the subscriptions site on Marvel, and I read) that the Avengers and New Avengers universes might be connected somehow, but I hadn’t picked up New Avengers yet (I had all of the available Avengers issues by this point, but was missing issue #1. The comic book store was ordering it for me…). So I figured this was as good a time as any…
New Avenges #1 – quite possibly the longest introduction where, at the end, you still feel like you have absolutely no idea what’s going on! I don’t know who Blank Panther is…I’ve never seen or heard of him before, so this whole issue felt like it was going above my head. I guess he’s a king in Necropolis (that’s really an unfortunate name for a country/city/place)
So I just tried to go with it, hoping that eventually things would be explained. After a portal expelled a Rhino, entering said portal into Red world with another planet in the sky, people somehow flying from planet in the sky to red world, all of them getting killed, and world in the sky exploding, I am still no closer to understanding what was going on. There was one buzzword that was thrown out – Incursion. And that has something to do with killing a world. Were they trying to destroy the Red World? Are the Red World and the real world the same? Bah…so confused!
Don’t get me wrong…I am totally intrigued as well. I want to know what all of this means…but I feel like this was almost half an issue, and that the other half with at least the start of an explanation was left off somehow.
Art-wise, this was well done. I really liked the color scheme in the Red World. I thought the artist did a really good job. I just wish I knew what was going on!
Well…I asked for an explanation. Ask and you shall receive, I suppose. This basically was one giant explanation. And it was a rather interesting explanation, which makes for an interesting premise that, I assume, is going to be at least the main problem to deal with for the next few issues, if not for a while longer. Parallel Realities that are, essentially, smashing into one another and destroying each other. For some reason this is a chain reaction and continuing through other parallel realities. Well, at least that explains the planet in the sky from the last issue. And Red World…apparently that was just our world when two worlds are colliding…yes, I am slow.
There’s really not much to be said for this issue story-wise. It was a whole bunch of exposition, because they had so much they had to explain. For what it needed to be, it was done well. Not the most interesting issue ever if you’re looking for action. But I love techno-babble, so I enjoyed the idea and the possibilities that came from that explanation.
One thing I will note is this, the art really struck me in this one. The close-ups we got of Black Swan…they were beautiful. Especially the one panel when she’s looking over her shoulder, screaming and tears are running down her face. I don’t know why that got me, but I thought it was beautiful.
Some of the tension in the group is interesting too. I liked the exchange between Black Panther and Namor (I have no idea who he is…but he seems a bit full of himself…). Obviously not all is happy in this little group…and I wonder if that’s going to play into any future issues.
Now this issue was good – its like a payoff for getting through the first two issues. Now that we’re up to speed and actually know what’s going on, now we can actually see something happen. And so we get an incursion, this time knowing exactly what an incursion means and what it means if they fail.
I loved the ramp up of tension through this entire issue. Every page, I know I felt myself tense just a little bit more…because we know what’s coming. We have an incursion detector, so we’ve got to have an incursion (isn’t that an unwritten storytelling rule?) So you’re just waiting and waiting. Will the gauntlet work? Will they save the world? And then what? I guess we’re going to have to wait to figure that out, because, while the world was saved, the gauntlet was destroyed…so we’re gonna need a new plan the next time an incursion happens. That can’t be good…
There were a couple of things that caught my attention this issue. First off, Hank’s reaction to getting the device put in his hand – that was priceless 🙂 Next, what was with the three places that seemed to be alerted to the Infinity Gauntlet being contstructed. We only got those three panels and then…nada. I assume that’ll come back at some point. I only recognized Thanos (I think…) No idea who the other two are…and I’m not sure if we want either of them alerted.
Finally…the ending. That was scary and perfect at the same time. I loved how they put Black Swan’s words over the last few panels, it just made the whole thing haunting. It also served to prove that she knows what she’s talking about. All they’ve done is delay the inevitable, if I’m understanding this correctly. Which is a scary thought…
So, overall, this one took a little while to get going. I’m glad I got into it when the first three were all released…if I only had the first issue to base the entire series on, I don’t know what I would have done. Now I’m hooked. I want to know where the writers plan on going with this!
Updating the list below a little – thanks to everyone who’s giving me an idea of where to find the answers to some of the things below! I will look them up as soon as I can!
Plots to Find in Older Comics:
- Scarlet Witch Depowering Mutants, War Against Phoenix Force – High Priority. This was mentioned in Hulk #1, but became much bigger when it came to All New X-Men. I’m going to need to find this info sometime soon! **House of M series (Thanks SM!!) and Avengers Vs. X-Men series**
- What’s up with the numbered Colins of A.I.M? – Medium Priority. They seem to be spanning a few different series…
- Who is this new Nick Fury? – Medium Priority. If he’s going to be a major character in Secret Avengers, I kind of want to know who he is… **Can be found in the Battle Scars series** Thanks thegothamrogue!
- Previous Team for Hawkeye and Black Widow – Medium Priority. I think it might be the last series of Secret Avengers, and I wonder if something that happened there will be the reason they joined here.
- What happened to the original Nick Fury? – Low Priority. Just curious.
- Incident where Kate took over for Hawkeye while he was a ninja – Low Priority. It would be fun to know, but certainly not necessary!
- Shield Command Structure – Low Priority. We probably don’t need this for most of the stories, but it would be nice to know.
- Who Else was in the Sinister Six? – Low Priority. Mentioned in Spiderman #1 and #3, but not necessary to know. Like always, just curious..
- Hawkeye’s Past – Low Priority. This is totally out of my own curiosity. You don’t need to know this to understand what’s going in in Hawkeye. It’s mentioned briefly, but it’s really not expanded on much.
- Tony’s first experience with Extremis – Low Priority. It’s not something that it that integral to the plot, so it’s more of a curiosity than anything else