This was another pretty slow week. Things at home have just been so busy that it’s been impossible to spend a whole lot of time reading much of anything. I dont know that it’s going to slow down any time soon. Also, I feel like I’m a little burnt out, and what downtime I do have, I usually just want to be lazy and do nothing instead of read (and you would think reading would be a good downtime thing to do. It’s just not working for me right now…) We shall see how next week goes!
I do think I need to start taking a break from picking up new series at some point – it’s starting to get a little overwhelming. After this week, I might not pick up anything new except for another series or two that has been on my radar for a while now. Really need to slow down!
Easiest to Pick Up Without Prior Knowledge
Batgirl #0 – This was a really adorable origin story for Barbara and certainly introduced me to a character that I want to read more about! I’ve already picked up the first TPB for Batgirl, so I’m looking forward to continuing her story!
Most Likely to Hold Your Attention
Daredevil TPB #3 – This was probably the most engrossing Daredevil story that I’ve read so far. Trying to figure out what happened to Matt Murdock and if any of these affects are going to be permanent and what that might mean for the rest of his life – they’re all really interesting questions. I’m trying to get my hands on the next TPB so I can keep reading!
Most Surprising Issue
Wonder Woman #7 – I wish I could say this was surprising for a good reason, but in this case, it’s the opposite. This issue just didn’t sit well with me, and the more I thought about it, the more it made me sick to my stomach. The ideas that were brought up in this issue were just…wrong. So very wrong. And it kind of makes me wonder just how much demonizing of the Amazons we are going to do in this title…
Most Surprising Ending
Guardians of the Galaxy #2 – I was expecting to have repercussions for these guys going to earth, but not quite this quickly. Which I guess is kind of silly – things either tend to happen really quickly or really slowly in comics (depending on who’s writing!) but it still caught me off guard.
Nothing This Week
Least Likely To Hold Your Attention
Nothing this Week
Most Wikipedia Searches Required
Secret Six TPB #1 – This was a CONFUSING trade. You’re supposed to know who these characters are, so there is very little introduction of each of them, who they are, and what they do. It took me over half the book to figure it out for myself. I feel like I need to reread it, just so I understand what happened at the beginning a little better.
Avengers #10 – That this title took this category from New Avengers and East of West should speak to just how crazy this issue was. It was good. It was very good. But I had absolutely no idea what was going on, or why. I keep hoping for an explanation, but I feel like we’re just getting more questions!
Jupiter’s Legacy #1 – I’ve been reading reviews of this issue since I put out my own opinion, and it seems like a lot of people really like this one. It’s just not something that I enjoyed. The themes and ideas were interesting, but the character…they were just not interesting to me. It was a chore just to get through! Thats okay, I probably don’t need any more series to read, right?
FF #6 – The FF series is just such a cute, charming story all around, and this specific issue fell right into the same place. I’m slowly growing to love all of these characters and their quirks and how they are all working to, in a way, take care of each other. Each issue doesn’t disappoint, and I look forward to reading more!
Comic Issues To Be Read This Week
- Swamp Thing #0 – Not entirely looking forward to this one, but it’s an issue that on our class list for this week. Luckily its only two issues this week, and I’ve already read the second issue we’re supposed to read, so it’s not going to take up too much time!
- Age of Ultron #7 – Yes, I was supposed to drop this, but after last issue, I kind of needed to see where this was going. It took a long time to get going, but this story is finally getting interesting
- Hawkeye #10 – After the end of last issue WHO ISN’T DYING FOR THIS ISSUE?!?!?!
- Iron Man #9 – Another series that I was supposed to drop, but the last issue had me too intrigued to want to drop it just yet. So we’re going to see how this issue goes.
- Superior Spider-Man #9 – Given what happened last issue, this could prove to be a VERY interesting issue if it goes where I think it might go (admittedly, I don’t usually get these things right, though…)
- The Movement #1 – I was really excited to try this one, and the whole premise sounded really interesting, so I’m excited to give it a try!
- All New X-Men #11 – So I already know which of the original X-Men is going to defect, but I’m still kind of curious how they are going to portray it here.
- X-Men Legacy #10 – The cover of this one just has me intrigued – didn’t we do a storyline similar to this in one of the X-Men movies? It sounds horribly familiar…
- Glory TPB #1 – I’m about halfway through this one, and the story is really interesting so far!
- Morning Glories TPB #3, #4, and Issue #26 – I don’t think I’m going to get to all of this, but I think I can get through at least some of it…
- Batwoman TPB #2 – This series has been really good so far, so I’m excited to see where we go from here
- Wonder Woman TPB #2 – Really want to see where this ends up going. After reading #7, I’m a little on the fence about this series…
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Marvelous Land of Oz, Ozma of Oz, and Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz – I will get around to these eventually…
- Watchmen TPB – Another one that I will get around to eventually…