Another week for this Comic Newbie, Another Summary Post 🙂 Trying to make it a little more organized, so hopefully it’s a little easier to read. Click the link below to see the entire summary!
This was my first week trying to stick to a schedule and limit the number of comics I picked up. Trying to only go only twice a week and pick up a specific number that I decide on before I go. NOT the easiest thing to do, especially when there are still so many series and stories that I want to read, or at least try! I certainly didn’t stick to it on Saturday, but what can you do? I’m hoping that eventually I will settle down on a few series that I absolutely have to have and there won’t be so much to read each week! I also enjoyed getting to read some series at the same time as everyone else, and not feel like I was playing catch-up!
Easiest to Pick Up Without Prior Knowledge:
Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1 – Since this issue is meant to be a background story, it’s a great place to pick up this series. On top of that, it’s beautifully drawn and a really well done story. I enjoyed this one!
Most Likely to Hold Your Attention:
Hawkeye #8 – Hawkeye was just as entertaining as it always it, though maybe a little lighter on the witty jokes and dialog. What really got me this week was the possibile beginnings of a larger storyline. Between the first page that was never really explained or revisited throughout the rest of the story, and the end with the many different villans all plotting together, there’s a distinct possibility that we’re going to start seeing a larger storyline, which could certainly be interesting.
Most Surprising Issue:
Thor: God of Thunder #1 – I really wasn’t expecting to like Thor. I mean, I had heard a lot of good things about it, but still, he was never a character I was interested in and, yeah, I thought I was just picking it up to be able to say I had given it a try, but not expecting much else out of it. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed what I was reading and the potential that is in this storyline.
Most Surprising Ending:
Mind The Gap #5 – For anyone that has actually read this issue, I don’t mean the end where we find out who’s behind Dane’s current predicament, I mean the very end, and the phone call that Jo gets. It really shouldn’t have been that surprising, since we were given the hints in the issue before, but I still wasn’t expecting it and definitely screamed at the page when I saw it!
Nothing This Week – Most every story was new and fresh, at least for me!
Least Likely to Hold Your Attention:
Uncanny X-Men #2 – A note on this choice, it’s not that this wasn’t an interesting issue, its just that, because it was mostly filler and a lot of “lets show you the school and recap what happened last time”, it felt like the least interesting issue of the week. I know that a lot of people enjoyed seeing the conversation between Scott and Emma – I enjoyed it too, but I think just because I haven’t known them as characters for as long, it didn’t seem quite as interesting to me. However, I still plan on picking up the next issue. Especially after the ending we got!
Most Wikipedia Searches Required:
FF #1 – SO MANY CHARACTERS that I had never heard of before. I think I was looking something up every two or three pages! I know Ms. Thing was a brand new character, but the rest had enough history that I needed to spend some time reading Wikipedia to understand everything that was said. Hopefully the need for Wikipedia will eventually lessen!
Nothing This Week – I think every issue made sense this week 🙂
Uncanny X-Force #1 – Again, I should note here that this was not just an all around awful pick. I was intrigued by the characters and a little interested in the story. But think the way the story was structured as well as some of the aweful posing on the cover and in a few panels just threw this to the bottom of the list. I still plan on giving this a try next week for the second issue. Hopefully the series can redeem itself, because I can see some interesting ideas here.
Captain Marvel #9 – I’ve been looking for a good female led comic since I started, and this issue is my absolute favorite so far! I’m still a little iffy about the artwork (it almost always takes me a couple of pages to get used to the proportions, especially in the faces) but the story was just so charming and so grounded. I really enjoyed reading this one!
Questions/Answers/Info From This Week:
Characters With Unknown Backgrounds:
- Iron Fist (who Clint keeps getting mistaken for) – Wikipedia
- Psylocke – Wikipedia
- Deathbird – Wikipedia
- Ant-Man – Wikipedia
- Medusa – Wikipedia
- She-Hulk – Wikipedia
- Who is Clint’s Ex-Wife? Mockingbird
- Storm was Married to T’Challa (Black Panther)? Yes – and then the marriage was annulled.
- Is Franklin Richards Telepathic? Yes, among MANY other things…
- What happened to Scott Lang’s Daughter? Here…
- What’s with the numbered Colins of A.I.M.?
- Are Clint and Spider-Woman Dating?
- Why do Deathbird and Carol call each other ‘Sister’?
Comic Issues To Be Read This Week:
- Superior Spider-Man #5 – After the last issue was mostly a set-up issue, I’m excited to see what is going to come from all of that!
- Avengers #7 – After the ending from last time, I wonder if we’re going to start getting into the main storyline now, or if we’re going to keep getting set-up…
- Iron Man #7 – I’m really looking forward to this one, and seeing where they take this Godkiller arc. Also excited to find out how this and Guardians of the Galaxy are going to cross.
- All New X-Men #8 – Do I really have to explain why I’m excited about this one?
- Age of Ultron #1 – My first “event” that’s happening since I started, so I’m kind of interested to see what one is like…
- Young Avengers #1 – I’ve been hearing good things about this series, so I thought I’d give it a try
- Fantastic Four #2 – Want to continue this series and see where its going
- FF #2 – Ditto to the above
- Captain America #1 – Haven’t heard that much about this series, but I thought it might be interesting to try.
- Captain Marvel #1 – I liked #9 and #10, then I ran across #1 in the store, so I figured I would give it a try!
- Mind the Gap #6 and #7 – OMG SO EXCITED!!!
- Nova #1 – Also heard good things about this series, so I wanted to give it a try.
- Thor #2 and #3 – After the first issue, I’m really excited to see where this series is going!
- Uncanny X-Force #2 – Figured I’d give this series one more shot to see if it gets better. I like Storm and Psylocke, but we shall see if it gets any better.
- Batman #0-#17 – No, I am not going to read the entire series this week, but I want to get it started – it’s also going to include my first digital comics (I’m getting #1 as a digital copy so I can read the rest of the series!)
- Scarlet #1-#5 – I got my hands on the first five issues of this series, and I’m excited to give them a try. But this is really on the back-burner until I have a slow week.
- Daredevil TPB Volume #1 – I’ve heard a lot of good things about this one, so I wanted to give it a try, but it may end up waiting for a slow week.
- Wolverine and the X-Men TPB Volume #1- Another one I’ve heard good things about, but I need to find time to read it!
- Avengers Vs. X-Men – Still want to read this one, but it is also on the back-burner until I have a slower week.
Yeah…I don’t have too much to read next week…not at all!