So I was going to do the last two issues of Avengers right about now…but I really wanted to (re)read something different, so I jumped over to the next couple of comics that I’ve got. I’ll head back to the Avengers after a bit. I think I just needed a break!
Okay, so I read enough review blogs and watch enough YouTube videos to know the explosion that most fans had at the end of this issue. And while I totally understand everyone else’s point of view on this one, for me, it fell a little flat. I mean, yes, I know enough to recognize the Green Goblin when I see him, but any reaction on my part was mild to compare to everyone else. We now have two villans running around the city, Massacre, and Green Goblin, and just based on what I’ve read so far, I don’t have any reason to think that his appearance is anything strange or out of the ordinary. Which is kind of sad…since so much of the rest of the fandom is so excited about it! I kind of wish I could be a part of it.
The rest of the comic was so-so. There were some funny moment (“Tastier Beverage?”) and the stakes certainly seem to be getting higher (Will Ock kill Massacre or wont he?) but this was all set-up filled with some odd comedic moments. I wasn’t a big fan of the Doc Ock must have a Doctorate Degree plot line that started here. It was funny…but not a whole lot else. I’m hoping that the next issue will be better…and maybe explain some things that those of us that haven’t been in the fandom long were missing from this issue!
Plots to Find in Older Comics:
- Scarlet Witch Depowering Mutants, War Against Phoenix Force – High Priority. This was mentioned in Hulk #1, but became much bigger when it came to All New X-Men. I’m going to need to find this info sometime soon! **House of M series (Thanks SM!!) and Avengers Vs. X-Men series**
- What’s up with the numbered Colins of A.I.M? – Medium Priority. They seem to be spanning a few different series…
- Who is this new Nick Fury? – Medium Priority. If he’s going to be a major character in Secret Avengers, I kind of want to know who he is… **Can be found in the Battle Scars series** Thanks thegothamrogue!
- Previous Team for Hawkeye and Black Widow – Medium Priority. I think it might be the last series of Secret Avengers, and I wonder if something that happened there will be the reason they joined here.
- What happened to Green Goblin that made people so surprised to see him again? – Low Priority – fully out of curiosity.
- A.I.M.’s history – Low Priority – who they are, where they came from, etc.
- Jean Grey’s history – Low Priority – This is something I should just Wikipedia, so I know what some of these random panels are referencing.
- What happened to the original Nick Fury? – Low Priority. Just curious.
- Incident where Kate took over for Hawkeye while he was a ninja – Low Priority. It would be fun to know, but certainly not necessary!
- Shield Command Structure – Low Priority. We probably don’t need this for most of the stories, but it would be nice to know.
- Who Else was in the Sinister Six? – Low Priority. Mentioned in Spiderman #1 and #3, but not necessary to know. Like always, just curious..
- Hawkeye’s Past – Low Priority. This is totally out of my own curiosity. You don’t need to know this to understand what’s going in in Hawkeye. It’s mentioned briefly, but it’s really not expanded on much.
- Tony’s first experience with Extremis – Low Priority. It’s not something that it that integral to the plot, so it’s more of a curiosity than anything else **Fourth Volume of Iron Man by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov (Thanks thegothamrogue!)**